Aspect Ratio Calculator
Multiple times per month I ask myself: what aspect ratio is this pixel amount? This is the tool that helps me know better.
Use the form below to calculate the missing value for a particular aspect ratio. This is useful, for example, when resizing photos or video.
- The aspect ratio (closest full fraction) is:
- The aspect ratio (in decimals) is: 1:
- Pixel count (full): pixels
- Pixel count (round): mega pixels
Explanation / Instructions
- Enter your values into
- Enter one of the values of
- The missing value will be calculated automatically.
- You can change all values at any time, the calculation updated automatically.
You have a photo or video that is 2400 x 3000 pixels in resolution, but you'd like to send a file that is only 400px in width to your client for review. To calculate the new height of your photo you can use the following formula (or the calculator above):
(org. height / org. width) x new width = new height
With the example numbers above, this would be the calculation:
(2400 / 3000) x 400 = 320
Resolutions & Aspect Ratios for Social Media
You should always check and be aware of the fact, that on your Instagram Feed, people will only see the center square (1:1) part of the photo post, video post, and IGTV upload.
Resolutions & Aspect Ratios for Filmmaking
A list of more common resolutions can be found on WikiPedia.